I know not everyone agrees with the "cry it out" method...I have mixed feelings about it myself. After receiving a pep talk from our pediatrician, I decided it was time to conquer the dreaded sleep training. The past two weeks have been very rough. Reese had a little cold which led to double ear infections, so I was up a lot with her to keep her comfortable during those nights. But then the cold went away and her ears healed and she was still up at all hours of the night. The kicker was Thursday night...it went a little something like this:
7-9pm: Slept
9-1: up every half hour
1-4:30: up every hour and a half
4:30-7:30: slept
Not a good night to say the least! She would cry and wake up every time her binky fell out of her mouth and she would squirm and kick to try to get out of her swaddle. So I knew what I needed to do...get rid of the binky and stop swaddling and force her to figure out how to self soothe. All day Friday I was preparing myself for night one of sleep training. I was prepared for a night of very little sleep. my theory was to go in her room every 10 minutes, comfort her but not pick her up until she fell asleep. Easier said than done. Every time i went in the room it made her so upset, her screaming would get kicked up a notch! So i made my visits less frequently...I caved once and picked her up, which made putting her back down so much harder! After 15 minutes of light crying and a very long hour and 15 minutes of hard crying, sweet little Reese finally went to sleep. Just when Sam and I were at our breaking point, she crashed. Then the waiting started...I honestly thought she would only stay down for an hour or so. To my surprise she slept until 7am!!! She cried out a little here and there throughout the night, but nothing major at all. She woke up so happy this morning which made me feel like we made the right decision. It's so awful to listen to your baby cry like that, but in the end she needs her sleep as much as we do.
Love you my sweet girl! Now lets see how nap time goes...
2 comments:
Ha ha ha love the title!!
I agree, it's one of the hardest things. I had to take Kailyn's binky away and do the same thing. I remember sitting on my bed one night just crying because I felt so bad. That is part of the reason we started giving her the duck. Something to soothe her but nothing small to lose.
What a blessing for all of you :) You're doing a great job!
Yea!!! :) Its so so hard to hear our little ones cry because our instincts tell us to go get them but our minds are telling us to try not to! Its terrible!! I hope that she does well again tonight!! Sleep is MARVELOUS--and man can it make everything else seem so much harder when we don'
t get enough of it!
Post a Comment