It’s extremely hard not getting any answers. I haven't written about this before, and I’m sure some of you have wondered. It took nearly 4 months for Blake's autopsy to come back. We were told for weeks we would have it that week and inevitably we would be left waiting. Unfortunately the report came back without any concrete evidence. We learned that his kidneys were two different sizes, but no sign that they weren't functioning just fine. Blake had bit his tongue, so they think he may have had a febrile seizure. Our doctor hasn't accepted this as the end all be all for too many factors that he believes dismisses this theory. Blake did have a fever that night, about 102. Blake was a fever kid and if he had a fever it would be 105. So a 102 was nothing for him, certainly nothing to make us worried. I can't tell you the number of times we took him to the doctor or urgent care or the ER for 105 fevers. Every time we took him in they said he clearly handles them fine and basically not to worry. If he was going to seize he would have done it a long time ago. They would tell us how to dose him and send us on our way. We gave him Motrin before bed that night and he went to sleep without any fuss at all. Soon after Blake's death, the recall on Motrin came out. Sure enough the bottle we had for Blake was a part of the recall. Let me say I personally think the FDA is a joke. Their protocol was absurd. Blake's doctor asked for the bottle so he could hold onto it and make the coroner’s office test the bottle. He also had to file a report with the FDA to alert them that a child had died after taking the medication. The FDA sent a letter to us that basically said, we may or may not look into this. The FDA then contacted our doctor and told him that the bottle of Motrin now belonged to them and they were going to pick it up. Dr. J completely disagreed and said this bottle belongs to the parents and they will hold onto it and have it tested. In my mind the FDA wanted to pick it up so they could sweep it under the rug. In the end we did find out that the bottle was under dosed by 10%. Did this 10% make a difference? Maybe so, maybe since Blake didn't get a full dose his fever still was able to spike and cause him to seize? We will never know...
It's hard to believe that 6 months have gone by. A third of his lifetime has passed. We are trying our best to keep living our life, living our life in honor of Blake. It's not an easy process, but all things considered I think we are doing a pretty good job.
God, please grant me
Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
6 comments:
I know how you dread these "anniversary" days. I hope they get less painful someday. The date doesn't define our memory of him. We think of him everyday and always will.
I too think of you guys and Blake everyday. Someday you will get to ask God the answers you so desperately want to know. Until then, continue to hold tightly to the memories of your smiling little boy. Even though every day is one day further from the last time you saw each other, it's also one day closer to the next time you will get to hold your sweet boy. I truly believe that Blake is OK, that he is happy, and that he is waiting for you! Stacey, you and Sam are remarkably strong XO
You guys ARE doing a remarkable job!!!! I know I've told you this before, and I'm not kidding...you and Sam inspire me greatly.
I too have sat and thought about the what ifs with my kids. Granted that has not happened yet, if it does. I have also thought I would not be ok. But I think of you and Paulette Aldrich. And I am AMAZED! Your journeys are an incredible testimony.
The fact that you can smile! That you can talk about these things! That your honest and open! Thank you for that!!!
I was thinking about you guys today and wondering if you had heard more about his autopsy. Apparently not. I will continue to pray for answers and hope you get them soon.
I continue to pray for your comfort and strength!
Kailyn has been memorizing a verse for her class and when we say it I think of you guys.
God will go with you, He will never leave you or forget you -Deuteronomy 31:6
<3
Im always thinking of you Stace and the pain you are going through. My little Lola has had a febrile seizure and I am constantly pumping her with meds if she is above a 99. I wish you had more answers. Are there more answers? What a frustrating process to go through. IM so sorry! I know he is in good hands and looking down at you. I love you girl and think of you always. I hope there are more answers to come.
I am thinking of you. I dont' think you ever told me about the motrin. That is interesting. I hate not having the answers as well, as you know. It kills me to know why our 18 month olds died for no reason. There are all these things that weren't completely normal with the autopsy but thats it. Nothing concrete, no answers. I hate accepting that.. How are you? hmm I should facebook you but it isn't letting me do anything, so here i am thinking of you.
LOVE the new blog look, esp the header!! Been thinking of you a lot.
How are you? Emotionally, physically? How is your little one-to-be? How is Sam?
Praying that this pregnancy brings peace amidst the storm. That this baby is healthy, strong, and the best little sibling ever!! :)
Post a Comment