Pages

Friday, September 26, 2014

Breath Holding Spell

Yesterday when I picked up Camryn from daycare, Angela told me Camryn had a scare. I immediately looked at her face, assuming she took another fall.  She looked completely fine and was her normal self, happy to see me. Angela couldn't even get 3 words out before she started to tear up.  Cam is still learning to walk, and was walking back and forth between Angela and her daughter. Camryn ended up falling backwards.  Angela caught her right before she hit the ground, but her head still hit the floor ever so slightly.  As kids do, Camryn went to scream, but it was a silent cry.  Angela kept thinking, oh man...this is going to be a big scream when it comes out.  She waited, and waited, but Cam never screamed.  Instead she passed out.  Angela screamed trying to get her to wake up, ran to the bathroom and started splashing water on her face.  After a few seconds, Camryn woke up.  A few seconds later, Camryn was completely fine and wanted to play and acted as if nothing had just happened.

Just to be safe, we took her to the doctor.  She hit her head pretty bad the week before and it made me nervous that she could have a concussion or something could have been jolted from this little fall. Come to find out she had a breath holding spell.  I had never heard of such a thing, but I'm told they are very common and even more common in strong willed or "spirited" kids.  The doctor assured us these spells, while scary, are completely harmless.  It's the body's natural way to force itself to take a breath. Typically it's brought on by anger, frustration, fear, or pain.  In this case, I think it was fear from falling backwards.

After all we have been through.  I'm not sure if I could handle seeing Camryn pass out, it might make me pass out too.  Now that I know she might be prone to this behavior, I need to mentally prepare for it to happen on my watch.  Just the thought of it makes my heart start racing.

What are we going to do with our strong willed little girls?  We have one that cries so hard she makes herself throw up (knock on wood that hasn't happened in awhile). And another little girl who cries so hard she makes herself pass out!  Everyone says their strong nature will pay off in the long run...I sure hope it does or we are in for it!

No comments: