A couple of weeks ago we took a little trip to the oh so gorgeous, Avila Beach. We made the trip to help celebrate a family friend's daughter's Bat Mitzvah. For those who have never been a part of a Bat or Bar Mitzvah, it's extremely impressive. I was blown away by what this young girl had to learn and the dedication it takes to do what she did. I had no idea what to expect, I guess I expected it to be like a first communion or even a baptism but it was so much more involved. This young girl led an entire service which was about 2 hours long, reading and signing in Hebrew nearly the whole time. Crazy impressive.
Since we made the trip for the Bat Mitzvah, we of course made a little family vacation out of it. Sam and I love this area so much, in fact we didn't want to leave...like ever. We actually met a young couple and their two young kids at the playground the first evening we got there. They were the nicest couple, and told us their life story in a nutshell. They recently picked up and moved from PA to CA. Literally sold everything they owned, bought an RV and drove across the US and are looking in the areas around San Luis Obispo to settle in. I was blown away...it take courage to make a drastic move like that...but I'd be lying if I said it didn't give Sam and I something to think about. Every time we are in SLO it just feels like home...I always envisioned if we moved it would be to the valley, but who knows where the future will lead us.
Reese was the sweetest girl the entire 4 days we were gone...apparently she likes to be on vacation too! I felt like a proud mom on the playground because when another kid would want to go down the slide or go on the swings, Reese would say "We have to take turns."...so sweet! She also walked right up to this boy about her size and said, "I'm Reesie"....she is turning into a social butterfly and just the sweetest girl. Any time you hand her something, whether it's a cup of water, a toy, or a napkin she responds with, "oh thanks mom". Another favorite right now is when I hear her say, "Love you, mom" without any solicitation...she will usually repeat it once you tell her you love her, but I'm talking about the I love you's that come straight from the heart without any probing.
It was also really sweet and special to see her enjoying the slide that we have so many pictures of Blake going down. I remember him standing at the top of that slide pointing with his little finger at something but I wasn't sure what, and sliding down it on his belly with his big dimple smile like it was yesterday. Reese asks to see pictures of Blakey all the time and wants to read a "Blakey book" which is nearly every book on her book shelf. She says it almost like she is pleading and desperately needs to see him. I love that she wants to see him, and it makes me smile when she asks, but it also makes my heart sink. Especially when the pictures or videos are over and she says, "I want more Blakey" (or the most heart-wrenching) "I want new Blakey...."
I want new Blakey too sweet girl....







No comments:
Post a Comment